It is safe to say the most of the world is in Olympics mode (I have even noticed a drop in visitor numbers to this site!) So while the blog is a little deserted I thought I would put up my arguments for and against about fishing being included as an Olympic sport!
- Most countries participate in the sport of fishing in some form.
- It is a traditional and ancient sport.
- Each Olympics could have a different target species.
- It would raise awareness of angling and what anglers do to care for the environment.
- It would encourage the continued growth of catch and release fishing.
- Animal rights activists would be against it.
- It doesn't make for great TV (this is debatable I guess).
- Transporting all the necessary equipment to the Olympic country could be a chore (although it can't be much harder than transporting a horse or a drunk athlete!)
- It isn't a traditional Olympic sport.
Hopefully the IOC is listening/reading to my thoughts and we will see fishing at the Olympics one day!
Of course this is all just a bit of fun, but feel free to tell me what you think - please leave a comment.