Sunday, August 17, 2008

Catching a sea snake while fishing (with video)

During our most recent fishing trip my wife caught a sea snake (which is the inspiration for this post). Fortunately for us is wriggled its way off the hook and we didn't have to debate who was going to take it off the hook for too long (for the record I was volunteered for the task!) I have previously encountered a sea snake many years before that also released itself - so I have been lucky!

Catching a sea snake is one of those things that you don't want happening to you when you are fishing in Australia - ever! The sea snakes that frequent our waters are the most venomous snakes in the world and one bite can kill a grown man in 10 minutes! I don't know about you, but I fish more than 10 minutes away from my local hospital!

This short video I have found is quite interesting. A British tourist fishing in Australian waters caught a cod (called grouper elsewhere) that had actually eaten a sea snake, and was still alive. I catch quite a few cod and they have the reputation of eating almost anything and I think a sea snake fits right into that category! Enjoy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's it, I am never fishing in Australia. Not only could I catch a snake, but it would be the most poisonous snake in the world. I think I'll pass on that one.

Tom said...

They are pretty rare fortunately.

Between the sea snakes, crocodiles, deadlly box jelly fish and stone fish the waters I fish are quite dangerous, but it doesn't stop anyone from fishing!

Thanks for the comment!