Monday, February 18, 2008

Catfish Noodling Video

I first saw catfish noodling on the television show Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. Of course I have heard of it before, but I thought it was some kind of myth or legend. I had that idea because in Australia our catfish have poisonous barbs and can even kill you so I was a little skeptical at first. However, after seeing catfish noodling first hand it certainly looks interesting. So I just had to find a catfish noodling video or two to show my readers!

You start out by finding a catfish hole and then you place your hand in the catfish hole and wait for the catfish to latch onto your hand. Then you must get a really good grip and pull it out of the hole sometimes with the help of a "spotter." Big catfish can weight in at 50-60 pounds and apparently it is common for the noodler to receive cuts if they do not use a protective glove! I have heard that some noodlers put some kind of smelly bait mix on their hands, but I have been unable to find out if this is very common.

Enough of me talking about catfish noodling though here are the noodling videos.

If you know anything about this sport feel free to enlighten me with a comment.




4 comments:

GFG said...

Noodling looks fun...but what are the chances of getting nicked by the dorsal spine?

regards
GFG
http://fishios.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i'm going to go noodling one of these days. how does it feel to have a catfish bite your hand and for you to take all of the victory.

Anonymous said...

i live in richmond,va(usa) and i recently noodled my first blue cat-30 lbs out of the james river, heck of a rush too!! he did do a number on my right hand though.

RehabP said...

I work at a rehab on Lake Eufala in Oklahoma. It's one of the biggest man made lakes in the country. Anybody got any noodling tips?