Monday, October 1, 2007

Knots and Rigs - Bristol Knot

This knot goes hand in hand with the bimini twist that I gave instructions for last week.

This knot is easy to tie and is a very strong knot. When tied correctly the bimini twist bristol knot combo can actually form a combination that is stronger than the main line! It is suitable for braid, monofilament and fluorocarbon. Most commonly the knot was tied with 20 turns, but recent testing has shown only 8 turns are needed for the best strength and that less turns may actually be even better for this knot!


1. Pass trace through the loop of doubled line


2. wrap the leader line five to seven times around the doubled line


3. Pass the leader line end back through the loop in the opposite direction from which it entered in step 1.


4. Lubricate and pull each end of the knot evenly until it tightens. Trim the tag end.

2 comments:

Doug Skinner said...

I don't think I have ever seen that tied...It certainly looks strong...I may give it shot the next time I need to connect my leader material. Good Stuff.

Tom said...

I must admit I was not aware of the knot either until a few weeks ago when I read about it in a local fishing magazine. A bit of experimentation has shown that this knot is amazingly strong and can be tied with only 8 turns!