Monday, September 10, 2007

Fishing Video of the week - Ice Fishing

Now ice fishing is something I have always wanted to try, but I have always seen it as a boring event where you get very cold and catch very few fish. However this video made me stop worrying about a frozen butt and I wanted to get onto a plane and head to Canada or the Northern United States immediately!

In this video the fisherman catches a giant musky (muskie) while fishing for lake trout and this is an awesome fish , especially on light tackle. It does show one major problem with ice fishing though - what happens if the hole you dug isn't big enough for the fish! Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled, a lot of people have ice shanties and lots of methods to keep warm. Ice fishing doesn't have to be as uncomfortable as it often looks.

Tom said...

Thanks for the comment! I am sure you are right, but I come from a very hot part of Australia and have never seen snow in my life. I get cold when I open my fridge. In saying that though I am still really keen to try ice fishing one day!

Anonymous said...

You'd probably have a problem with winter in Northern Michigan, if you get cold when you open the fridge. It can get awfully cold here. Winter is quite beautiful though.

Eagle Eyes said...

I love ice fishing and the fun it can bring to a long winter. Good trout and perch fishing in my area. My set up is rather basic compared to some of the extravagant set ups I have seen and heard about being used by other hardwater anglers. Thanks for the video Tom. May your ice fishin' dream come true some day.

Tom said...

Thanks for the comments. It's good to start building up some discussion around here. Glad you enjoyed the video. I'm just going to have to be brave when I try ice fishing (and maybe take along a few extra clothes!)

Diane said...

I have been ice fishing for about 26 years and its a blast. I almost like it better than warm weather fishing. Get a shelter, heater, and a thermos of hot coffee and your ready to go. Hope you get a chance to try it sometime.