Sunday, March 23, 2008

Lowrance problems

While looking through my website reports yesterday I noticed a strange anomaly - people finding my site with the term "Lowrance problems." Now I am sure that I have never written about the topic before and I am in no way affiliated with Lowrance, but I figured I should provide people searching for this term some information to point them in the right direction.

Marine electronic problems
For what it is worth half of the marine electronics in my boat are made by Lowrance and I have never had a problem apart from the time a new GPS satellite was launched and my receiver told me I was traveling at 30,000 km's per hour! However, I have heard stories of unfortunate people with a problem fish finder or GPS and no particular brand is immune to these types of problems. There are many problems that can go wrong with marine electronics and they are exposed to some of the toughest conditions each trip. They can suffer with software problems, a hardware problem or an external problem (like salt corrosion). Not everything is covered under warranty, but you should always check with the manufacturer before pronouncing your electronics dead.

Lowrance Warranty - (US and Canada only)
If you have a Lowrance product you are covered by a full one year warranty (extract from the lowrance website)

  • We don't just talk about quality and reliability, we prove it by backing our units with the best warranty in the business. In the unlikely event your unit malfunctions or fails to conform to the product's written specifications due to a defect in materials or workmanship, we will repair it absolutely free for one year from the date of your original purchase. (Some limitations apply. Read the Lowrance warranty statement enclosed with each product.)
They also offer a warranty extension for up to two years (3 year total).

Lowrance warranty procedure - US and Canada only
I have only had to deal with Lowrance customer service once and I found them to be very helpful. If something goes wrong with your product there are certain procedures you should follow (extract from the Lowrance website).
  • If you need to speak with a Customer Service agent, please call our toll-free Customer Service line at 1-800-324-1356. Technicians and representatives are available to help you Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, except holidays. Lowrance is located at 12000 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74128 USA.
I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble with a Lowrance marine electronic problem. I hope that everything works out well for you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are lots of third party place to try to get answers to support questions gpspassions, gpsculture.com, gpsdiscussions.com, and more ... the above are a list of new and mature GPS support sites just do a Google search for "GPS forum" to find others.

Mike Richard said...

Good evening Tom!

It's interesting sometime to look at the keywords that brought traffic to your blog. You could use Google Analytics or Feed Burner, sometime you can have surprises on some keywords that are bringing traffic. You did the right, you created a post on those keywords!

Well done!

Mike

Tom said...

Thanks for the comments.

Mike, I am always surprised what I find in my reports, but this was the strangest one I have found so far. Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers