Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The true story of the duck eating monster

Weird fish Fact #1

For years a story was told around the Lake Washington area about a duck eating monster. On November 5, 1987 it was discovered. It was a dead fish that had washed ashore. The fish was a sturgeon that weighed 900 pounds and was 11 feet long (imagine fishing for that!). Washington State fisheries official Tony Floor estimated that it was 80 years of age. Although they don't usually eat ducks, sturgeons can live up to 100 years and can grow 20 feet long!

2 comments:

Eagle Eyes said...

Howdy Tom! Just came across your new blog. I also have a fishing blog. So we have some things in common. Stop by Idaho Fishin' Times and say hello when you get a chance. I will add your link to my BlogBuddies list and would appreciate a link back to my blog on your blogroll.

In Idaho, we have many stories about monster Sturgeon that have been hooked! Some of the ol' timers have classic stories of giant fish.

I will check back in often to see what's on your mind!

Tom said...

Thanks for stopping by and also for linking to me. I have added you in my friends of this blog section.
Cheers
Tom