Catfish seem to be on my mind lately (see the biggest catfish ever caught post) and this post is no different.
Night fishing for catfish
Catfish were once strictly a night time angling target exclusively, but day time fishing has become a much more popular method for catching these great fish. However, there are many reasons to go night fishing including;
- The water to too clear.
- It is too hot during the day.
- Too many anglers and "pleasure craft" on the water during the day.
- Catfish (and other fish for that matter) will often be more willing to feed at night.
- The bigger catfish are consistently caught at nighttime!
- Try to be quiet catfish don’t have the best vision, but they are sensitive to noise.
- Try a big smelly bait to give the catfish the best chance of finding your bait - try shad, fresh fish fillets, chicken livers even hot dogs will work.
- Use a rig with the hook on the bottom (this is where the catfish are looking for food).
- Try not to shine your light in the water - this can scare the catfish.
- If you are fishing a river try working the pools below the damn where the bait fish will be schooling.